07 April 2012

Review: Larkstorm - Dawn Rae Miller

Release Date: December 5th, 2011
Paperback: 308 Pages
Publisher: FinnStar Publishing

In the years following the destructive Long Winter, when half the world’s population perished, the State remains locked in battle against the Sensitives: humans born with extra abilities.
As one of the last descendants of the State’s Founders, seventeen-year-old Lark Greene knows her place: study hard and be a model citizen so she can follow in her family’s footsteps. Her life’s been set since birth, and she’s looking forward to graduating and settling down with Beck, the boy she’s loved longer than she can remember. 
However, after Beck is accused of being Sensitive and organizing an attack against Lark, he disappears. Heartbroken and convinced the State made a mistake, Lark sets out to find him and clear his name.
But what she discovers is more dangerous and frightening than Sensitives: She must kill the boy she loves, unless he kills her first.


I've been wanting to read Larkstorm for a long time and most of the time when you expect too much from a novel, it can only disappoint you. But that was not the case with this one. With such an unique and exciting premise, Miller's novel is what everybody should be reading right now (if you haven't read it already)! Not to mention that Larkstorm has one of most beautiful cover I have ever seen (it will look SO good on my bookshelf)!

I won't tell you more about the story, since Goodreads' book description summons it all up and I would run the risk of giving too much away (you will thank me later)! 
But what distinguishes Larkstorm the most from other novels is its plot. While it has many popular elements of the YA genre nowadays, this novel is something completely unique. It is a mix of dystopia, romance, magic and mystery and the outcome was utterly amazing. Furthermore I found Miller's writing completely to my taste, meaning: beautiful!


All character were so well-written making them exceptionally realistic, therefore easy to identify with. I loved the main character, Lark. She is a completely obedient person, who even though wishes she could do something rebellious like kissing Beck still doesn't break the rules. When she finds out that what she is, can destroy Beck, she does anything even become powerless to save him. She is so strong and determined, yet still compassionate and sweet, that she may as well be one of my favorite heroines. Beck, in the other hand, was a difficult character to judge. I admit that I had a hard times sometimes believing that he was looking out for Lark's best interest. Still he was completely swoon-worthy: extrovert, funny and sweet who made Lark feel good and safe. 


The romance surprised me the most. It was rather sweet and slow, not superfluous and sickening. Lark and Beck have known each other since they were little, which means there wasn't any "insta-love" (refreshing!). Lark wasn't even sure that she loved Beck, so it was interesting to see her finding out that what she felt for him was something more than friendship. After finding out that their romance could be dangerous to Beck, everything started crumbling down and everything started being an obstacle. I can't wait to see what the sequel will add to their relationship, since they are meant to kill each other!

With its twists and turns and unexpected developments Larkstorm will leave you astonished and eager for its sequel, which will be released June 6th. Larkstorm has a freshness to its premise even though dystopia and witches are rather popular right now! This novel was enthralling; I couldn't put it down once! I can't emphasize enough: Larkstorm is a must-read!




On location: Born in Michigan. Live in San Francisco. Vacation in Michigan. I’m lucky – I spend my time in two of the most beautiful places in the world.
On family: A lot of testosterone - I have three boys, plus a husband.
On Randomness: I cannot, for the life of me, properly pronounce the word “Iowa.” I hate cluttered floors and love organizing drawers and closets. I used to be able to do a back handspring, but I haven’t tried it in years.  Website / Twitter




5 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! I've been wanting to read this book for ages but I never got the chance to. But wow - it sounds amazing! I love well-developed and realistic characters. I love unique concepts. I think this might be perfect for me. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this sounds like such an interesting book! In the mix of dystopia coming out at the moment some good books can be lost, so thanks for drawing attention to the good ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Elizabeth I think so too! Sadly many great books don't get well-deserved attention because there are so many books coming out in the same genre. But I really loved this one and hopefully more people will read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard for this before, what a beautiful story and cover is amazing. I think it has everything and the relationship between Lark and Beck sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cover looks beautiful, sounds very good.. I can not wait and it will have :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis