28 May 2012

(ARC) Review: Timepiece - Myra McEntire

Release Date: June 12th, 2012
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Egmont USA

A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...
Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?
Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.
Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...
 

After reading Hourglass (and loving it!), I was thrilled to be able to read Timepiece right away. I was curious and a bit afraid to see how McEntire's novel would change with a new point of view (Kaleb's). But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. And the amazing twists and turns didn't disappoint, either. Despite the slow beginning, Timepiece will leave readers begging for more!

The plot was, as usual, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It surely helps that I utterly love McEntire's writing. There were many twists and turns and the story just flows which resulted in me reading this one in one sitting. Kaleb was a fine narrator and I found his relationship with Lily was sweet, even though I didn't like them together that much. One thing that didn't please me in Timepiece was that Emerson and Michael were mostly absent; I would have liked it if they would have appeared more in the novel.

I really don't have anything bad to say about the characters. They are still the awesome characters I fell in love in the prequel. And I kind of loved being able to read Kaleb's opinion on everybody else. He was one of my favorite characters in Hourglass and, well, I wasn't disappointed in any way that McEntire decided to change the point of view. Yet I'm sure that many of you won't like it as much as I did.

Even though I loved Timepiece, I have to admit that Hourglass was a mind blowing beginning and that the sequel couldn't quite reach the same high, but that's normal in most series. Timepiece ends with a bang and I can't wait to see where McEntire will takes us next! This series certainly counts as one of my favorites. If you haven't read Hourglass yet, you are out of your mind! Fans of time travel, sci-fi, romance and, well, young adult novels will love this series!

Thanks to Netgalley and Egmont USA for providing me with a copy for review!


Myra McEntire knows the words to every R&B hit of the last decade, but since she lives in Nashville, the country music capital of America, her lyrical talents go sadly unappreciated. She’s chosen, instead, to channel her “mad word skills” into creating stories. She’s an avid Doctor Who fan and will argue passionately about which incarnation is the best.      Website / Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Have been wanting to read Hourglass for a while and with Timepiece coming out I might just pick it up, I hate reading a book and having to wait forever. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! This is making my favorite list!! From the very first chapter I was hooked! Of course, I am a sucker for time-travel stories and this one is the best I've read so far! Wow! The plot was so original, intense and enjoyable!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis