17 July 2012

Review: Grasping at Eternity - Karen Hooper

Release Date: May 25th 2012
Publisher: Starry Sky Publishing

Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories.
Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.
Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her.
While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be. 


I had my eyes on Grasping at Eternity for some time now and when I heard the author was searching some bloggers to review it, I couldn't let the opportunity go by. Hooper's novel was as good as I anticipated. I haven't read many novels about immortality and I'm sure you won't find another novel similar to this one. With such concepts as immortality and superpowers, Grasping at Eternity will certainly grasp your attention.


The Plot: As mentioned, I haven't read many novels about immortality so I'm totally blown away by this novel. I loved the originality about people who get to choose to be born again and with time develop superpowers. But nothing can be so perfect, right? The main character, Maryah, chose to erase. And the story revolves around the reason she chose to erase (which no one knows) and the relationship with her soulmate. There is enough action, romance and mystery in Grasping at Eternity to satiate everyone's needs.


The Characters: Admittedly I didn't like Maryah that much. I can understand that is difficult for her to find out that she knows her new family for ages, literally, but can't remember it. Furthermore she has to cope with the idea that she has a soulmate. But I found her too dramatic sometimes, nevertheless she was a nice main character. Nathan was just plain sweet and swoon-worthy. The other characters complement the story really well and I could not see this novel working without them.


Grasping at Eternity was such an enjoyable read and I'm certain that I will be rereading it some time soon. I'm already eager to get my hands on the sequel and I hope it will be as good as this one. I recommend this one to anyone who enjoys great romances with superpowers!


Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy for review! 
 


I was born and bred in Baltimore, frolicked and froze in Colorado for a couple of years and I'm currently sunning and splashing around Florida with my two sweet and adorable dogs. I'm addicted to coffee, chocolate and complicated happily-ever-afters. Website



3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around and I love the cover! I'm so glad you liked it Rachel! Going to put on my TBR list. Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review GAE, Rachel! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to read this book! Everything I've heard about it is great AND I like that the synopsis is a bit...dark.

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis