08 August 2012

(ARC) Review: Spark - Brigid Kemmerer

Release Date: August 28th 2012
Paperback: 432 Pages
Publisher: K-Teen

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.
Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.
Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.
More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.
Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.
The fuse is lit…


I have no words, literally. Spark blew me away and I really don't think any other novel from the Elemental series will be as good as this one. Gabriel was already my favorite character in the prequel, Storm, so you can imagine my eagerness to get my hands on this one when I found out that the sequel would revolve around him. Spark didn't disappoint me at all and it was totally worth getting excited for!

The Plot: Kemmerer's writing is just amazing and if you read Storm, you know she can write every kind of scene perfectly. The romance scenes are as good as the action scenes and so on. Spark is the perfect mix of romance, action, tension and well, everything. Nevertheless I have to say that Spark wasn't in any way similar to Storm. Gabriel and Chris are completely different, therefore their stories too, which for me is a positive thing. Spark gave me the impression of being more serious and sad and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Characters: Gabriel is an interesting character; fire being his element, Gabriel is explosive and unlike his brothers, cannot use his element frequently. He struggles a lot and has to learn how to handle things alone. I think the tension between the brothers was a good twist and I loved how it all played out. Gabriel certainly grows up in Spark and we get to see another side of his character, a more sensitive one. So after reading Spark, I love Gabriel even more! Layne was a nice match for Gabriel because she is his complete opposite. The romance scenes were sweet but not the best in the book.

Spark totally made my list of favorite reads in 2012 and I most certainly will be rereading it soon. Gabriel was such an amazing and different character and I would love to read more about his twin, Nick, because I don't think he is as perfect as Gabriel thinks he is. I'm sure everybody will enjoy Spark: fans of paranormal, romance, contemporary, you name it. If you haven't read Storm yet, I can't emphasize this enough: read it now!

 Thanks to K-Teen for providing me with a copy of this wonderful book for review!


Brigid Kemmerer finds the time to write somewhere between caring for her family and working at her day job, but sometimes she ends up mothering her coworkers and managing her family. Storm: The Elemental Series is her first novel. Website  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I loved Storm and can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis