05 February 2013

ARC Review: Hysteria - Megan Miranda

Release Date: February 5th, 2013
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Walker Childrens

Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others. In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again.
A freakish good mystery that will leave you on the edge of your seat! Everything seems to be such a mystery and I couldn't wait to read the next chapter and find out more about the story. To put it simply, I devoured this novel. 

Hysteria will drive you crazy with curiosity. The flashbacks were a new kind of torture for me because mostly they were really short and I had to read so much more to get a new snippet of what happened the night of the murder. I also enjoyed trying to find out what was real and what was caused by the hysteria. Megan Miranda nailed the psychological thriller part of the story.

The characters fell a bit flat for me, though. I couldn't connect with Mallory and I couldn't imagine her doing something as bad as murdering someone. She didn't feel that crazy to me and I still don't know why she didn't escape if she had the chance?! But looking beyond that, she was a nice character that went through something really dramatic and couldn't escape her demons even after changing schools. The romance was a bit lifeless and too sudden. I feel also that I didn't get to know much about the mean girls and that their plot against Jason felt because of it a bit rushed and forced. 

Overall Hysteria was an intriguing read that I couldn't put down. The flashbacks kept me captivated and curious throughout the novel; and Mallory's battle against her trauma was also something refreshingly new in my typical YA reads. The characters could have certainly been better and I would also have liked to know more about Krista, Taryn and Bree (mean girls) because they felt mostly too distant in the plot to me. 

Huge thanks to Bloomsbury UK and Netgalley for providing me with a copy for review!

2 comments:

  1. I am LOVING the sound of this suspense that we get with the whole flashbacks thing! I think I would go crazy wanting to know what happened the night of the murder as well, especially because that's piqued my interest so much already! However, the lack of character development and some what insta-love is a bit disappointing, honestly. Hopefully the storyline will make up for those two things though!

    Fabulous review, Rachel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book looks super awesome! Definitely one I'm going to try to get my hands on!

    regards,
    rowena of Floating Candles for Wedding

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis